March 31, 2011
Commission Makes Preliminary Price Cap Decision for the Third Performance Term: Invites Public Comment
The Commission’s preliminary decision on price caps for the third performance term is as follows:
- a 4.15% increase on April 1 of each year from 2012 to 2015 in average ferry fares on the major routes (numbered 1, 2 and 30) from the lower mainland to Vancouver Island and Route 3 (Horseshoe Bay-Langdale); and
- a 8.23% increase on April 1 of each year from 2012 to 2015 in average ferry fares on the northern and minor route groups which comprise a total of 21 routes.
Please visit the following for further information:
- the 19-page Commission Order 11-02 and Report with findings and determinations;
- a news release of today’s date;
- BC Ferries’ price cap submission to the Commission dated September 30, 2010 which includes cost projections for delivering core services under its contract with the province;
- BC Ferries’ paper titled Opportunities for Enhanced Efficiency in Performance Term Three dated October 2010;
- a letter from the Province and BC Ferries dated March 24, 2011 stating their intention to make amendments to the Coastal Ferry Services Contract for the third performance term by amalgamating route groups numbered 1 and 2 and reassigning taxpayer funding; and
- BC Ferries’ statutory annual reports to the commission, with details of its financial and operating performance and its customer satisfaction surveys, and its quarterly route-by-route service quality reports covering service reliability, punctuality, capacity utilization and other data.
The Commission invites the public to comment on the preliminary decision, as well as on the information provided to the Commission by BCFS, on any report filed with the Commission by BCFS or on any other information on the Commission’s website that relates to the commissioner’s powers and duties.
Comments can be e-mailed to email@example.com or mailed to BC Ferry Commission, RPO Hillside, Box 35119, Victoria BC, V8T 5G2. Deadline for comments or submissions is June 30, 2011.
The Commission will make its final decision on price caps for the third performance term by September 30, 2011.